From the streets of American inner cities evolved a culture that was eventually called “hip-hop” and a music which was to be known as “rap”. This study unit traces the music and the culture from the early days of “scratching” and “break-dancing” through the Golden Age, the East Coast/West Coast rivalries, into the mainstreaming of rap an era of multi-variations, when rap hybrids appear.
What will you learn in this unit?
- Investigate the cultural environment which helped to shape early rap music and the hip-hop culture.
- Discuss the evolving characteristics and features of rap music.
- Analyze the differences between rap sub-genres created during various time periods and in geographical locations.
- Explore technology and its role in the creation and development of rap music.
- Learn about groups, musicians, and producers who helped to develop rap.
- Consider the impact of rap/hip-hop music on current American culture.
A Brief History of Rap - Overview
A History of Rap Styles Chart (click to open)
Rap/Hip-Hop Study Unit Study Qs: